Under Round 2 of the Gippsland Lakes Coordinating Committee - Love Our Lakes Community Grants Program:
The GPCMN has been funded to deliver a major project at Eagle Point Reserve, which will:
· Monitor, control and re-mediate areas of erosion caused by the inappropriate use of four wheel drive vehicles within the Gippsland Lakes RAMSAR site.
· Construct fencing to restrict further vehicle access, fix current and prevent further erosion via earth, drainage and revegetation works.
· Develop and install signage to increase community awareness of and appreciation for the areas conservation and cultural heritage significance.
· Train volunteers and build capacity within the local community to gather environmental attribute information by mapping the distribution of rabbit warrens for future control.
· Use a cooperative model involving the local Eagle Point Landcare/Coast action group, the East Gippsland Shire Council (designated land manager) the Gunaikurnai Aboriginal Land and Waters Corporation and others to deliver the above mentioned ecological restoration works that will improve the condition and resilience of the reserve area, the adjoining Mitchel river, Jones Bay and broader Gippsland Lakes.
Don't forget to 'become a member' of the GPCMN to support the work we do and so you are able to stand for or help elect the new committee for 2018
Nomination forms for the GPCMN 2018 committee of management can be downloaded here
*free meal restricted to our set menu and one per GPCMN membership